Post from New member - Yousuf

Daily (Mon-Fri) speech exercises with Ryan through Whatsapp
manu657

Post from New member - Yousuf

Post by manu657 »

Hi,

I just registered at IELTS network having heard great things about it from friends. I'm giving the General Training test on may 10th and hoping to score band 7 at least. Would appreciate a critique of my first posted mp3 here. Please excuse the occasional background noise. My 9 month old is quite chirpy :)

Looking forward.

Yousuf
Attachments
sample-1-042914.mp3
(2.66 MiB) Downloaded 333 times
lmoore
IELTS Instructor
IELTS Instructor

Re: Post from New member - Yousuf

Post by lmoore »

Hi, Yousef. Thank you for your first post here!

It seems so appropriate that your baby was "chirping" in the background because it sounded like he/she was pretty happy while you were doing this recording about laughter. :)

First, you are quite fluent in your speech. You had little difficulty with your rate of speech. Your pronunciation was pretty clear as well throughout the recording. I had some difficulty at the beginning understanding you, but I think that was due to your perhaps being further away from the microphone than you were later on. One thing that prevented your fluency from being even better was the number of "You knows?" that you used throughout the speech. "You know" is like "uh," or "like." They can really slow you down and make it difficult for the listener to understand all your points well.

Your vocabulary was sophisticated as well. I heard you use "on the verge of," "mundane," "cracks jokes," "trend that is developing," and "grumpy," "to some extent," and "surroundings." While most of these words are higher-level, you also show knowledge of some more informal speech, like "grumpy" and "cracks jokes."

As to your organization, you moved through each question easily. One way to improve it would be to use transitions instead of reading the questions as you move through them. Words like "first," "next," "in addition," "moreover," "for example," "furthermore," and "finally" can help tie a speech together for the listener.

Here are a few sentence structure points:

It's not that different as well. - This should be, "It's not that different EITHER."

I like many things (that make people laugh? - I couldn't hear you here.), yes, I do. - Leave off the "Yes, I do." It sounds awkward.

Laughing is a bit of a short term in nature. - Leave out the "a" in front of "short," so that the sentence is, "Laughing is a bit short term in nature."

Thank you again for your work, and best wishes as you continue to practice!
manu657

Re: Post from New member - Yousuf

Post by manu657 »

thanks for the detailed feedback. I'd appreciate if you could rate this speech score-wise. I don't have much time left.