IELTS PART 2: Environment and law

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Chitarra90

IELTS PART 2: Environment and law

Post by Chitarra90 »

Some people claim that not enough of the waste from homes is recycled. They say that the only way to increase recycling is for governments to make it a legal requirement.
To what extent do you think laws are needed to make people recycle more of their waste?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
You should write at least 250 words.

It is argued that we do not usually recycle a sufficient quantity of our garbage, so the Government should enact laws in order to make it mandatory. I totally agree with this view as we all should take responsibility of the safeguard of the environment.
First of all, despite many countries have promoted advertisement to spread awareness about recycling, there is a part of the population who has never separated waste and simply drops it in a unique rubbish bin. As a result, many states are still losing a huge quantity of raw materials that might be effectively reused in production processes. Secondly, although people decide to recycle their house waste, actually there are not any fine for who does not recycle properly. For example, putting glass and plastic bottles together instead of separating them in their proper bins or collection banks. If we do not invert this trend we will still continue to harm the environment by filling up landfill sites.
In my view, the Government should pass a law to tackle the two main problems stated above in the previous paragraph. Firstly, making obligatory recycling ensure that everyone take equal responsibility about the safeguard of the environment, rather than rely on the correct behaviour of green citizens. Secondly, only by enforcing a law it would be possible to impose fines to anyone who still recycle superficially. If people continue to do so, they would collect a bunch of fines instead. As an example, the city of Milan has passed a law in 1998 in that sense, and since then is the greenest city of the entire Italy with more than 90% of raw material recycled.
To sum up, I suggest that the Government should introduce a law to oblige people recycling as this is the only tool available to guarantee that we will not continue to harm the environment by accumulating housing rubbish.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: IELTS PART 2: Environment and law

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

I like the first main paragraph, but the second main one doesn't really add anything to your argument. For example, you could have looked at the practicalities of such a policy. Would people take their rubbish to work? Would people leave it in public waste bins, e.g. at train stations or at schools?

Some points, especially in the second main paragraph, are strange - "only by enforcing a law it would be possible to impose fines to anyone who still recycle superficially". Well, yes, but you can't really fine people for doing something that is not illegal, right?

Very good vocabulary. Grammar is good in range, though there are numerous basic errors (ensure - ensureS)

I see a lot of potential here, but this current essay is average at best.

All the best,
David
Chitarra90

Post by Chitarra90 »

Hi David,

thank you very much for your help.

May I ask you some question? Someone has suggested me to do not transform an argument essay in a problem and solution one as mine in this case. Is it my structure good overall? Or I steel try to avoid this problem and solution structure for this kind of essay?

Thanks a lot
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Post by Flick »

Chitarra90 wrote:Some people claim that not enough of the waste from homes is recycled. They say that the only way to increase recycling is for governments to make it a legal requirement.
To what extent do you think laws are needed to make people recycle more of their waste?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
You should write at least 250 words.

It is argued that we do not usually recycle a sufficient quantity of our garbage, so the government should enact laws in order to make it mandatory. I totally agree with this view as we all should take responsibility for the safeguard of the environment.

First of all, despite many countries spreading awareness about recycling, there is a part of the population who has never separated waste, and simply drops it in a single rubbish bin. As a result, many states are still losing a huge quantity of raw materials that might be effectively reused in production processes. Secondly, although people decide to recycle their household waste, there aren't any fines for those who do not recycle properly. For example, putting glass and plastic bottles together instead of separating them in their proper bins or collection banks. If we do not invert this trend, we will continue to harm the environment by filling up landfill sites.

In my view, the government should pass a law to tackle the two main problems stated above. Firstly, making recycling obligatory ensures that everyone takes equal responsibility for the safeguarding of the environment, rather than relying on the correct behaviour of green citizens. Secondly, only by enforcing a law would it be possible to impose fines on anyone who still recycles superficially. If people continue to do so, they would collect a bunch of fines instead. As an example, the city of Milan passed a law in 1998 in that sense, and since then has become the greenest city in Italy with more than 90% of raw material recycled.

To sum up, I suggest that the government should introduce a law to oblige people to recycle as this is the only tool available to guarantee that we will not continue to harm the environment by accumulating housing rubbish.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

Organisation is fine and it is often possible to transform an essay as you suggest.

David