First Essay. Primary level vs secondary level.

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.

What band would you give for this essay?

No votes
50%
No votes
50%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

vinoth

First Essay. Primary level vs secondary level.

Post by vinoth »

Started my essay practice today. Kindly review and give feedback.

Question: Some experts believe that it is better for children to begin learning a foreign lang at primary school rather than secondary school.
Do the adv outweigh the disadvantages?

The scientific community believes that imparting foreign language skills in primary school has more benefits vis-a-vis secondary school. I agree that benefits of teaching foreign language skills at primary level out number those at secondary level.

Firstly, young people are better primed to pick up language skills in primary level than secondary level. Research has shown that human's ability to learn a new language decreases drastically with age. I would like to share a first hand experience. Recently, I tried to learn Mandarin since my professional proceedings required me to have a basic knowledge of Mandarin. I found it really challenging to learn new words and to understand the grammar rules governing the new language. I felt that my incumbent knowledge of english prevented me from fully understanding the rules of Mandarin language. I faced no such challenge when I tried to learn French at school. I could say that after students get accustomed to a language, they will find it difficult to learn a new language.

Secondly, younger generation have more time for language skills in primary than in secondary school. At secondary school, students have to devote more time for learning math and science skills. Also, young students attain some level of maturity and independent thinking in their secondary school. Not knowing the advantages of language skills, they might resist learning skills. They might give more importance to math, science or art skills.Educators will not face such resistance from students at the primary level.

On the other hand, some educators argue that students are too young for language skills at primary level. They argue that primary school students should spend most of the time in physical activity and games to improve their motor skills.

To conclude, I feel that primary level is the best time to teach language skills. Students are better prepared to learn new language at primary level than at secondary level.
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: First Essay. Primary level vs secondary level.

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

Overall, a ggood essay. Arguments are clear, though the final main paragraph is not developed - it is the same length as the introduction! Vocabulary and grammar are clear, without too many mistakes, although the range of grammatical structures is narrow (conditionals?).

Well done,
David
vinoth

Re: First Essay. Primary level vs secondary level.

Post by vinoth »

Thank you David :)