Wrt 2 Academic: languages

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Chitarra90

Wrt 2 Academic: languages

Post by Chitarra90 »

Some people say that the only reason for learning a foreign language is in order to travel or work in a foreign country. Others say that these are not the only reason why someone should learn a foreign language.

Discuss both views and give your own opinion

It is often argued that people should master a new language only for travelling or finding better job prospects abroad. However, many believe also that the main reason for learning foreign languages is to sample new cultures, thus securing access to a new world of knowledge, and to gain an outsider’s perspective on their own culture. I agree with the latter.

On the one hand, some people are of the opinion that people should pick up new languages only to enhance their own chances to be employed abroad, where sometimes job positions are both better paid and stimulating than their original home countries. This argumentation often misunderstands or underestimates that languages are a mean of communication, as human beings rely on them to communicate opinions, feelings, ideas to each other. As a case in point, ancient Greek epic poems are masterpieces of literature, and without the knowledge of the archaic Greek we were not be able not only to read them but to fully understand and appreciate an entire form of art.

Turning to the other side of the argument, many people consider that sampling new cultures and obtaining a critical acumen given by an entire new world of information is the main reason to learn languages. In other words, people are able not only to cope with difficulties given by foreign cultures when abroad, but also to totally immerse themselves and feeling part of the new surrounding and gain an outsider’s perspective of their own culture. As an example, Research by Cambridge university in 1988, has revealed that the Chinese language does not contain a word with the same mean of our simple negative form “No”, because Chinese find better to try to find a common perspective or made any possible effort to reach a reasonable solution.

To sum up, while many often focuses their attention on languages only for finding employment or going abroad as a tourist, I agree with the opinion that considers the new entire world of information given access by foreign languages the main reason to learn them.

343 words: 40 min
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Wrt 2 Academic: languages

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

In the first main paragraph, you need to explain why translations of these works are inadequate.

The last sentence of the second main paragraph is wrong. Chinese deos have a word for 'no' but it is not used as frequently as in English. The Chinese usually express negatives as phrases or sentences ...

Are you Chinese? I am Chinese / I am not Chinese
Do you want this drink? I want it / I do not want it

If you are following the South China Sea situation, you will see how 'reasonable' the Chinese are being.

Overall, a good essay, with good voacabulary and grammatical accuracy. However, grammatical range is quite limited (conditionals?) and ideas are not explained or developed clearly.

All the best,
David