Could I get some advice on this task 1 essay please?

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
NewAgeEnglish

Could I get some advice on this task 1 essay please?

Post by NewAgeEnglish »

The graph illustrates the USA’s energy consumption profile from 1980 to 2030. The data before 2008 was gathered statistically, and after 2008 was generated by prediction.

There are two most obvious features on the graph. First, fossil fuels are the absolute major energy sources in America. Second, among the six types of energy source, only hydropower is being used decreasingly.

All three fossil fuels are consumed more over the 50 years. However the usage of ‘petrol and oil’ is always nearly twice as high as any of the coal and natural gas at any time of the period. In 1980, 35 quadrillion units of ‘petrol and oil’ was burnt, while 16 and 20 of coal and natural gas was also used to keep the USA running. Although some fluctuations appear on the curves, by 2030, the most prominent ‘petrol and oil’ will hit 48 quadrillion units, while coal and natural gas reach 30 and 23 respectively.

The three much less important alternative energy sources all started at 3.7 quadrillion units in 1980. Go through some ups and downs, nuclear and solar/wind powers conclude in 2030 with net gains at 6 and 5 quadrillion units. In contrast, hydropower tumbles down to 2 quadrillion units.

Word count: 203
cam 9 test 4 task 1.jpg
cam 9 test 4 task 1.jpg (119.43 KiB) Viewed 487 times
David.IELTS.Examiner
IELTS Examiner
IELTS Examiner

Re: Could I get some advice on this task 1 essay please?

Post by David.IELTS.Examiner »

Hello!

1. Fossil fuels are not the 'absolute' source of fuels. They are the main source.
2. 'are consumed' - Be careful with the grammar! The chart shows past, present and future.
3. This report is very short on the three alternative energy sources.

Overall, some quite major mistakes which mean that the writing is not of a high standard.

All the best,
David