Letters 7, 8 (Preparation)

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
Gelever

Letters 7, 8 (Preparation)

Post by Gelever »

Hi, again!
I hope this post finds you in a good mood and health.
I've written two more letters lately. Hope it will not be too boring to read.
I really tried to think up a good story...

30th of April (General Training)
You recently stayed at a hotel and had a problem, but receptionist helped you. Write letter to hotel manager
  • describe the problem
  • how the receptionist helped
  • suggest how in the future the problem can be prevented

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing in regards to a problem I faced when staying at your hotel. Allow me recreate the whole situation I experienced.

I was on a business trip to Zaragoza and stayed at your hotel from 2d to 8th of July, 2015. As long as I visited your country on business I was relaying very much on the hotel’s Internet connection to remain online with my office. In the room #223, where I stayed, I found a Wi-Fi router with an instruction for it, unfortunately, written fully in Spanish, which I know very little. After I failed to translate it into English with my e-dictionary installed on my smartphone, I was compelled to seek help from a receptionist. Luckily, she was fluent in English, and kindly agreed to assist me to connect my laptop to the Internet.

I would like you to provide instructions to room’s facilities in English for the sake of a guest’s convenience. Additionally, it would be perfect if you also make some improvements by locating Wi-Fi devices on a floor, not in a room so that everybody could just type the password and gain the Internet access right away.

Hoping this information has been useful,

Andreas

Total: 195

IELTS 3.1
You are due to start a new job next week but you will not be able to because you have some problems. Write a letter to your new employer. In your letter:
  • explain your situation
  • describe your problems
  • tell him/her when you think you can start

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing regarding the position of Technical Support Engineer I have obtained in your company. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get into office in time. Allow me to recreate the whole situation.

You see, last Thursday, I was riding my bicycle to my prior office to clear off my work when a road accident occurred. As a result of the crash, I fell over and was badly injured. I was taken to the ‘Royal Hospital’ by ambulance and diagnosed with fracture of clavicle, which required urgent surgical procedure. Now, I am recovering, but my doctor has prescribed at least a week of bed rest after the surgery. I realize the amount of inconvenience I am causing you, but my circumstances will not allow joining your company at the arranged date.

My intention in writing this letter is to ask that you consider postponing my joining date. I would be grateful if you kept my position for seven days as my doctor has assured that this time is sufficient for me to completely recover.

Hoping to receive your supportive reply,

Andreas

Total: 175

The final letters 9 and 10 will be posted in two days...
Thank you for attention!