pls rate the essay! smoking is a bad habit

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
ramogi

pls rate the essay! smoking is a bad habit

Post by ramogi »

Smoking is a bad habit and should be abandoned completely worldwide

I am in strong agreement with the topic mentioned above. When I think of smoking, the first thing that comes to my mind is lung cancer. Not only smokers but also the innocent people surrounding smokers get affected through Passive smoking. Stress, depression, fun, peer pressure & cigarette bonding times at offices are some of the reasons why people take up smoking.

A recent survey has shown that a lot of school going children take up smoking in their early teens out of excitement and are not able to quit smoking later on. There is a kind of peer pressure amongst children and the smoker friends entice other children to try smoking. A lot of early deaths have started happening because of lung and heart diseases and it is a cause of concern for the society. It has also been observed that healths of children of smoker parents are affected too. Chain smokers are at greater risks.

Although a lot of rehabilitation centres have opened up to help people quit smoking but a smoker, even though aware of the ill effects of smoking, is unable to quit smoking most of the times. Every cigarette pack comes with a warning that “Smoking is injurious to health” but smokers take it lightly and suffer later.

To reduce the consumption of smoking, Government should increase the taxes on cigarette prices so as to reduce the number of people consuming them. We have been given one beautiful life and our bodies are to be worshipped but today’s youth fails to understand the meaning of a healthy life.
Rizwan

Re: pls rate the essay! smoking is a bad habit

Post by Rizwan »

dear Ramogi: your essay was well composed, harmonic and very concise. Please review my response to this topic too.

"Smoking is injurious to health". A standard warning which you will find on each packet of cigarette no matter which brand are you smoking and where you are consuming it. I heard many international researchers proclaiming that each cigarette reduce 10 min of your healthy life.
This bad habit usually catches adults in college age when teens are extremely enthusiastic for thrill and adventures. Smoking habit is usually presented as sign of honor and respect in films and advertisement on electronic media. Albeit they plays several warning with that scripts but depiction of smoker as hero or superman has more effect on adults than verbal or written alerts. The most novices usually start smoking with intention that they will quiet it any time when they will wish. They slowly accustom with it and cannot abandon it till their death.
World health organization in its recent report iterated that smoking is the main cause of overwhelming heart attacks, hypertension, stress and anxiety and cancer. Who will be more foolish then a smoker who burn their money and health with each puff of cigarette.
In my view international ban on tobacco and other narcotics cultivation, ban on cigarette processing companies and creating awareness among the peoples are the ways to save our generations from this deadly suicide habit. The efforts like ban on sale of cigarette bellow 18 years age, printed warning on each packet of cigarette and increasing cost of cigarette by levying high taxes on it are not proved fruitful. Ban on cultivation and processing of narcotics is the only pragmatic approach to nib the evil in the bud.
ramogi

Post by ramogi »

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will make note
devinp

Post by devinp »

I rate 5.5 for you
here is my revised version.

When people mention the topic of smoking, they usually refer to some specific diseases such as lung cancer. Not only smokers are affected by this, it may also influence the surrounding people through passive smoking. In my opinion, the topic statement should be supported and stress, depression, fun, peer pressure and cigarette bonding times in offices can be the common causes for new smokers.

Peer pressure, without doubt, has a significant impact among school children. Many of those students take up smoking at an early stage of their life simply out of excitement for fun and peer's seductive guidance. There is insufficient alerts or precaution procedures for them to realise the threats embedded in smoking. It becomes too late for them to be awakened when facing the facts of addiction and illness. Thus, the environment for young kids to live and study is an important contributor for smoking habit.

Although there are some existing measures to curb the spread of smoking such as scary pictures on cigarette packs and rehabilitation centre for those who determined to quit, they barely reverse the situation. The reason behind is that smoking becomes part of their life and it is addictive to stick with that living pattern both physically and mentally. It is therefore a hard topic for any society to deal with because of its addictive nature. Many families suffer from this chronic issue.

In conclusion, the reasons of causing smoking habit are mainly at smokers' living environment and cigarette's addictive nature. It would be effective for the ruling authority to increase the cost of smoking habit to reduce to number of smokers by applying penalty tax on them. In the mean time, focusing on educating the public especially the youth about the danger within smoking will be helpful to ease the growth of new smokers.

This is edited based on your logic but it is not very well targeted the question. I suggest you to practice more on how to address questions.
devinp

Post by devinp »

this question asks your opinion on smoking......more effects oriented, not the causes... so you can make your essay but stating the negative effects and say they are so bad and that is why i agree smoking should be banned worldwide.

you can say

intro smoking serious topic for public health.
smoking bad for health

e.g. kids family
smoking bad for behaviour a precursor for crime or drug usage

e.g violence. using drug
conclusion so bad that i agree that it should be banned
ramogi

Post by ramogi »

Thank you so much for your suggestions