my first writing, correct it please

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
ican

my first writing, correct it please

Post by ican »

Dear Ryan

This is my first writing, i hope you can correct it, i was watching your video and your writing posts in your blog and i have tried to follow your advices. This topic was given to me last year at the institute where i studied. I know it is an old topic but for me is the first that i have made.

Tourism is a modern form of colonialism. It distorts local economies, causes environmental damage and ruins the places it exploits.
To what extent would you support or reject this idea?

Tourism is one of the fastest growing sectors in many economies of the world and has brought with it many economic and social benefits. This is very apparent in many Latin American countries. It is disagreed that tourism is a modern form of colonialism. The merits of this position will be shown by looking how tourism can create jobs and improve local community quality of life.

Firstly, a well-designed and managed tourism has close linkages to other sectors like education and hospitality industry and it can create directly and indirectly employment to people. For example, a community-owned Spanish language school located in the Maya Reserve receives hundreds of tourists yearly and employs almost all the local people who were in the past engaged in illegal timber extraction, hunting and slash-and-burn techniques. Also, tourists spends their money in other goods and services, it leads to what is known as the multiplier effect that contributes to create others industries like hospitality. If this eco school had not opened, many families in the village would have not been benefited. Thus, it is clear that tourism industry provides opportunities for small-scales business enterprises and contributes to develop local economy.

Furthermore, tourism can contribute to make an important and sizeable contribution to host community. For instance, to attract tourist to a local community is necessary to have a good infrastructure and leisure amenities, the improvements that the governments do to develop these aspects are part of the result from tourism. These acts as an example how tourism can develop life conditions of host community; it encourages the preservation of traditional customs and can create a better cultural understanding. Thus, it is clear that benefits derive from the encouragement of developing tourism.

As the above shows, tourism is beneficial to local economies because it can develop jobs to improve the living conditions of people and as well instills an understanding of the importance of preservation of customs. Thus, it can be concluded that there are clear and healthful benefits to encouraging tourism among the world. It is expected to increase tourism over the world in the next years. :P
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Re: my first writing, correct it please

Post by Flick »

ican wrote: Tourism is a modern form of colonialism. It distorts local economies, causes environmental damage and ruins the places it exploits.
To what extent would you support or reject this idea?

Tourism is one of the fastest growing sectors in many economies of the world and has brought with it many economic and social benefits. This is apparent in several Latin American countries. It is disagreed that tourism is a modern form of colonialism. The merits of this position will be shown by looking at how tourism can create jobs and improve the local community's quality of life.

Firstly, a well-designed and managed tourism industry has close links to other sectors like education and hospitality, and it can directly and indirectly create employment for people. For example, a community-owned Spanish language school located in the Maya Reserve receives hundreds of tourists yearly and employs almost all the local people who were in the past engaged in illegal timber extraction, hunting and slash-and-burn techniques. Also, tourists spend their money on other goods and services, which leads to what is known as the multiplier effect that contributes to the creation of other industries like hospitality. If this school had not opened, many families in the village would have not benefited. Thus, it is clear that the tourism industry provides opportunities for small-scales business enterprises and contributes to the development of the local economy.

Furthermore, tourism can make an important and sizable contribution to the host community. For instance, to attract tourist to a local community, it is necessary to have a good infrastructure and leisure amenities. The improvements that governments are able to develop are part of the result of tourism. These act as an example of how tourism can improve the conditions of a host community; it encourages the preservation of traditional customs and can create better cultural understanding. Thus, it is clear that benefits derive from the encouragement of developing tourism.

As the above shows, tourism is beneficial to local economies because it can develop jobs to improve the living conditions of people as well as instilling an understanding of the importance of preserving customs. Thus, it can be concluded that there are clear and healthy benefits to encouraging tourism around the world. It is expected that tourism will increase all over the world over the coming years.
Johnson zhang

Post by Johnson zhang »

good work, flick!

let me just borrow this question.

Tourism is a modern form of colonialism. It distorts local economies, causes environmental damage and ruins the places it exploits. To what extent would you support or reject this idea?

In tourism, travellers often leave heavy footprints. Their interests and activities are considered to have re-shaped many local economies. The patterns in which these changes have been taking place vary from place to place; therefore, their effects should not be generalised and are perhaps under-studied. I believe tourism is an effective economic engine and a positive form of cultural exchange, but local authorities may bring much damage to protected tourism-resources. There are at least two arguments to support this opinion.

Last edited by Johnson zhang on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is impossible! Band score 9 is certainly not.
Flick
Grammar Checker
Grammar Checker

Post by Flick »

Johnson zhang wrote:good work, flick!

let me just borrow this question.

Tourism is a modern form of colonialism. It distorts local economies, causes environmental damage and ruins the places it exploits. To what extent would you support or reject this idea?

In tourism, travellers often leave heavy footprints. Their interests and activities are considered to have re-shaped many local economies. The patterns in which these changes have been taking place vary from place to place; therefore, their effects should not be generalised and are perhaps under-studied. I believe tourism is an effective economic engine and a form of cultural exchange is all positive, but local authorities may bring much damage to protected tourism-resources. There are at least two arguments to support this opinion.

Very well articulated. Great job! :)